blogger visitor
SPORTS: JT quits England (THE SUN)

Sunday, September 23, 2012

JT quits England (THE SUN)



208

JT's highs and lows

SEP 2001 One of four Chelsea stars fined for their behaviour at a hotel on the day after 9/11 attacks.
JUNE 2002 Misses World Cup due to assault and affray charge.
AUG 2004 Appointed Chelsea captain.
MAY 2008 Fluffs kick in Champions League shootout final against Manchester United.
JAN 2010 JT’s alleged relationship with Wayne Bridge’s ex-girlfriend is revealed.
FEB 2010 Bridge refuses to shake his hand before match with Man City.
OCT 2011 Terry accused of making a racist slur against Anton Ferdinand.
APR 2012 Terry captains Chelsea to a 1-0 home win over Barcelona in Champions League semi-final first leg. But then is sent off in second leg.
JULY 2012 Cleared by court of making a racist insult to Ferdinand.
SEP 2012 QPR ace Ferdinand refuses to shake his hand.

JOHN TERRY sensationally quit international football last night.

He dropped his bombshell on the eve of today’s FA hearing into his alleged racial abuse of Anton Ferdinand.
The furious Chelsea skipper believes the FA have a vendetta against him and feels they should have dropped their case once he was cleared of the same charge in July at Westminster Magistrates Court.
He is believed to have spoken with England boss Roy Hodgson to explain his decision before then going public.
Terry, 31, said in a statement: “I am today announcing my retirement from international football.
"I would like to thank the England managers who have selected me for my 78 caps.
“I have had great pleasure in sharing that honour with all the players I’ve played with.
“I would like to thank them, the fans and my family for their support and encouragement during my international career.
“Representing and captaining my country is what I dreamed of as a boy and it has been a truly great honour. I have always given my all and it breaks my heart to make this decision.
“I want to wish Roy and the team every success for the future.
“I am making this statement in advance of the hearing of the FA disciplinary charge because I feel the FA, in pursuing charges against me where I have already been cleared in a court of law, have made my position with the national team untenable.
“I now look forward to playing for Chelsea FC and challenging for domestic and European honours. I want to thank the fans and the club for their continued support.”
England boss Hodgson had supported Terry throughout the latest controversy.
He claimed recently he hoped Terry would be cleared by the FA.
Hodgson picked JT for Euro 2012 at the expense of Anton’s brother Rio and still saw him as the backbone for the World Cup qualifying bid.
John Terry and David Beckham
FLASH-BECK ... John Terry gets the England armband from David Beckham in 2006
Ray Wilkins, a former England and Chelsea skipper, insists Hodgson will find it hard to replace Terry.
Wilkins said: “On the pitch John does what the manager requires and that’s to lead from the front.
“I feel very sad for Roy — he made it evident he wanted John to be his centre-half. It’s a massive loss.”
Ex-England striker Gary Lineker said: “Whatever you think about John Terry, he always gave his absolute all for England. A strong leader and great defender.”
Video:

John Terry quits international football

EX-ENGLAND skipper retires - and former FA chief executive Mark Palios understands why JT feels aggrieved


Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4553319/John-Terry-has-quit-international-duty-with-England.html#ixzz27LXcnerg

No comments:

Post a Comment