New Valencia coach Mauricio Pellegrino believes his side can compete with the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona, despite the financial disparity between the clubs.
The Argentinian's predecessor, Unai Emery. took Los Che to three consecutive third-placed finishes behind the big two in La Liga, but Valencia finished 39 points behind champions Real last season. However, Argentinian Pellegrino is still sure Valencia can pose a title challenge despite possibly losing one of their key players this summer in Jordi Alba.
He told AS: "That Real Madrid and Barcelona have a different budget is a reality, it is something obvious and objective, but if football is anything, it is irrational. This is why we are so passionate about it. Not all teams are made from a base of money, and we are going to compete with Real Madrid and Barça."
I have learned a lot from him and thanked him personally, but I am not Rafa Benitez. I am a different person and a product of my own experiences.
Mauricio Pellegrino

Pellegrino spent six years with the club as a player, but his only previous coaching experience came as part of Rafa Benitez's backroom staff at Liverpool and Inter Milan. However, despite thanking Benitez for his tutelage, Pellegrino was quick to stress he will be his own man.
"All the people what were part of my life have been an influence in it," he added. "Rafa is part of that also, it has been a privilege to be able to play under him.

"I have learned a lot from him and thanked him personally, but I am not Rafa Benitez. I am a different person and a product of my own experiences.
"I am very happy to be here. It excited me when I arrived. I remembered the moments I lived here as a player, but now is a new era. We are happy and I am sure that with our work we can form an important team."
Alba reality
However, Pellegrino may be handed an early reminder of the difference in financial power between the two giants of Spanish football and the rest, with Spanish international Alba expected to complete his transfer to Barcelona within the next few days.
"In the last few years players of a high level have left the club and the team has remained strong," Pellegrino said. "If he goes it will be a shame from a football perspective, but that is the reality of the club."