The Week in Quotes
© AFP
"We just played a game of FIFA 12. It was a special moment and showed me what a good person Tony is. He showed his human side to me as an owner of the club, I wanted to join QPR.”
Loic Remy on how playing the popular video game with Queens Park Rangers owner Tony Fernandes persuaded him to join the club over Newcastle United
"Personally, when we played against Arsenal in London, I saw the best forward ever: Robin van Persie. I didn't know a player could play three positions during 90 minutes. It was a great experience.”
Jurgen Klopp
"Everybody has been copying the Ajax youth academy, so we want something new again. And in ten years' time everybody will copy us again. And we'll come up with something new once more. We want to be like high jumper Dick Fosbury. For years everybody jumped with their stomach over the bar. From out of nowhere, someone jumped backwards over the bar: Fosbury. Everybody said he was crazy, but two years later everybody used the same technique. That's the way things are going with Ajax, too."
Coach Frank de Boer on how he plans to turn the Amsterdam side into trend-setters again
"Cavani is a player that I like. Will he cost a lot of money? That's for sure. Nobody would deny that. [But] our banker lives just next to me at the moment and he is ready if we find the right player."
Arsene Wenger, Arsenal manager, on his quick access to transfer funds should the likes of Napoli's Edinson Cavani be available
"I thank God that for 40 years I have the opportunity to continue playing. I had offers from several clubs and I'm happy. To critics I would like to say that this is only a result of my dedication and I will be working hard to do my best on the pitch. I hope to be an example for many."
Rivaldo, who has returned to his homeland to sign for second division side Sao Caetano
"Best wishes for Great #PepGuardiola in his new adventure in Bayern. I have no doubts that he will do very well. He is one of the best ones."
Pau Gasol, Spanish star of the NBA
“Balotelli must always focus on proving his value on the field, without being a ‘superhero’ or Mario the ‘character’ off it.”
Italy coach Cesare Prandelli on Mario Balotelli
"It is a blow for the boy but this operation, hopefully, will solve the situation in terms of his career in the game and, very importantly, his health."
Sir Alex Ferguson on Darren Fletcher, who has had to undergo surgery on a long-term bowel illness
"It’s great news that Pep is eager and ready to return. Football needs the best trainer to coach again. "I haven’t won anything. On a general level I would lose in any comparison with Guardiola.”
Tito Vilanova
"Knowing Zidane, I see him as an international coach rather than a club coach. There would be less pressure and that would suit his personality, because he's someone who does not speak a lot. He was an exceptional player, and with his aura and status each player would listen to him. I'm sure he can be a great coach."
Franz Beckenbauer
“The principle behind Barcelona’s style was very simple: play with the ball, do everything with it. Every footballer around the world decided to play football because one day in some corner of their small village or big city, wherever it was, they kicked a ball around and enjoyed it. Barça’s system, even if people say it’s very complicated, is as simple as that: we’ll get the ball and just let them try and take it off us; let’s pass it between us as much as possible and see if we can score a goal. What I’ll try and do in the future is what I did when I was a player, what I believed in, and what I’ve coached for the past five years: attack as well as you possibly can, keep hold of the ball and pass it to a guy wearing the same colour shirt.”
Pep Guardiola to FIFA.com