blogger visitor
SPORTS: Rafa Benitez: Let me stay, Rom (THE SUN)

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Rafa Benitez: Let me stay, Rom (THE SUN)



7

RAFA BENITEZ has told owner Roman Abramovich that he wants to stay on as Chelsea manager.

The Spaniard was appointed in November after Red Rom sacked Roberto di Matteo. Benitez came in as interim boss on a deal which runs until the end of the season.
But now the Spaniard has finally admitted he wants the job permanently.
Benitez, 52, said: “I want to be at a top side and Chelsea is a top side with great potential. It is a great opportunity.
“I’ve had private conversations with the people in charge and the owner.
“They know my ideas, they listen to me, we talk and they have to decide.
“I came in mid-season, so I could not change too much and had to work with the squad I had.
“I gave my opinions, we signed a striker and we’re trying to do what is best for the team and the club.
“This is a top side and if they continue to do things the right way they’ll challenge for trophies.”
Blues were knocked out of the Champions League and Capital One Cup and lost the World Club Championship final under Benitez.
And they face an FA Cup banana skin at League One Brentford today.
Ruthless Roman Abramovich has a history of axing managers who fail to win silverware.
With the club also falling short in the title race, the FA Cup appears their only realistic chance of a trophy.
But even if he fails to lift the trophy, Benitez is hopeful of a reprieve.
He said: “If you analyse the previous managers, how many had pre-season here? Not me.
“How many spent massive money here? Not me.
“How many had to go to Japan in mid-season with players injured and had players in the African Nations Cup? Only me.”


Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4764804/Rafa-Benitez-urges-Roman-Abramovich-Let-me-stay-manager.html#ixzz2J8eGev1Y

No comments:

Post a Comment