blogger visitor
SPORTS: KOMPANY: It’s my idea of seven (THE SUN)

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

KOMPANY: It’s my idea of seven (THE SUN)



Kompany eyeing multi-title glory

26

VINCENT KOMPANY wants a Magnificent Seven with Manchester City after turning down interest from Europe's elite.

The Belgian defender committed his long-term future to the champions last week despite the likes of Barcelona sniffing around.
And Kompany - who lifted the Premier League trophy in May - wants to do the same thing again in each of the six years of his new deal.
Twelve months previously, the City skipper picked up the FA Cup at Wembley so the 26-year-old is getting a taste for silverware.
He said: "I won’t get another 20 years out of my career unfortunately, I probably have 10 more years at best, so I want to win as much as possible.
"I have signed a six-year deal, so there are six titles possible within those years, so you know what? I want to get them all.
"It probably won’t happen, but we will see in six years’ time. I will try everything for that."
Kompany admits other clubs came calling this summer and deservedly so after two outstanding years at the heart of City's defence.
CHILDS PLAY ... Vincent Kompany shows off his skills at SOS Children's Village Beijing
CHILDS PLAY ... Vincent Kompany shows off his skills at SOS Children's Village Beijing
But he joined the Blues just weeks before the Abu Dhabi takeover in August 2008 - so wanted to continue being part of their amazing journey.
He added: "It’s only normal when you win the Premier League, or have a couple of good seasons that you get interest at the end of the season.
"But it was only City who were important to me.
"I'm not going to give names but the opportunity was there for me to start negotiating with other clubs, definitely.
"However I wanted to stay at City and I think the six-year deal is a statement of my ambitions at the club.
HELPING HAND ... Vincent Kompany is taken to one of the family houses
HELPING HAND ... Vincent Kompany is taken to one of the family houses
"I have had a good spell here and it would have been easy to play clubs against each other but it wasn’t my intention.
"When I joined City four years ago, I came a month before the takeover. When that happened, without knowing it, their project became mine as well.
"So I do have ties to the Manchester City project, and also to the fans and the city, which make it very exciting for me to stay at the club for a long period."
In the last game of their tour to the far east yesterday, City beat Malaysia 3-1 with goals from Sergio Aguero, Carlos Tevez and Adam Johnson.
But Kompany was missing as he had flown home after Saturday’s 2-0 win over Arsenal with a calf injury.
THUMBTHING SPECIAL ... kids in house nine give the Manchester City defender the thumbs up
THUMBTHING SPECIAL ... kids in house nine give the Manchester City defender the thumbs up
City's summer has been surprisingly quiet so far with fans still waiting for the first new arrival of the close season.
Kompany's Belgium team-mate Eden Hazard was strongly linked, while Robin van Persie and Daniel Agger are now targets for boss Roberto Mancini.
The centre-back admits Dutch ace RVP is an 'incredible' player that any club would be pleased to see walk through the door.
Speaking as he donated a five-figure sum to SOS Children's Village, he said: "Van Persie is a player who has improved so much.
"I started playing against him five or six years ago, but his performances last season were unbelievable.
CITY GENT ... Kompany lines up with kids in their Manchester City kits
CITY GENT ... Kompany lines up with kids in their Manchester City kits
"A player like this would be an incredible addition to any team that he joined, so yeah.
"His movement is near perfection and the stats show his finishing. He has led by example at Arsenal, so yes, he is a great player.
He added: "As for Hazard, he was keeping it as much a secret from us in the national team as the media. Everybody expected me to know, but I didn’t.
"Maybe I shouted too much at him at training and he thought he didn’t want it for a full season at City!
"But I think we will improve anyway, whether we need new players is up to the manager. I only know that, even if we don’t, we will improve naturally anyway."
  • VINCENT KOMPANY was speaking at the launch of a partnership between SOS Children's Village Beijing and Manchester City FC. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment