“Emotionally, it was a very, very strong moment. We were all united in this moment of communion, which obviously lifts the spirits because you feel it in your heart. It's beautiful, it's moving, it's grandiose. It's very strong. This will be shown round the world and will show unity. Football is a global game. It is not about religion or race. We need to stand tall together in these tough times."
France coach Didier Deschamps paid tribute to England's supporters for the respect they showed during Tuesday's poignant friendly at Wembley
“Paddy only had a seven week contract, we weren’t expecting it, but Paddy came to see us and said that he loves the club, he loves the fact we gave him an opportunity, but he doesn’t feel like he is going to earn his money now he is injured. Quite incredibly he has decided he wants to cancel the contract. Incredibly he had guaranteed money there, but he has said he can’t take money off the football club, which is quite a unique circumstance.”
Bury manager David Flitcroft on former Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Paddy Kenny voluntarily cancelling his short-term contract 13 days into his new role after he tore his calf in training because he wanted to save the club money
“I believe having Iran here, in a World Cup qualification game, is the single most important milestone in Guam football history. To have a world-class team, a world-class coach, here on our shores is going to do so much for football and our development…We want the local fans to see world-class football here, live, because we just don’t watch it enough.”
Guam head coach Gary White during a press conference ahead of Guam’s FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Iran
“So there were five of us and we had four tickets. We had a box, so you were allowed to park your car in the stadium. We couldn’t go into the stadium with five, so we drew straws and I got the short straw so I had to get into the trunk of the car and we drove in. It was 1983, and we were watching the opening game between Australia and Mexico at the Under-20 (FIFA Youth World Championship). When we got inside, they banged on the trunk and let me out, thankfully, so that I could see the game. I promised myself then and there that the next time I went to Azteca, I’d be on the field. Ten years later, I was on the field standing next to (former U.S. national team coach) Bora (Milutinovic) as an assistant. I’m hoping this trip to Azteca is much better to that one.”
Seattle Sounders coach Sigi Schmidt on his first visit to Azteca Stadium, speaking ahead of his club’s trip to Mexico City next year to take on 2015 FIFA Club World Cup participants Club America in the CONCACAF Champions League quarter-finals 
The Football Federation Australia Twitter account humorously reenacting what they would have live-tweeted during their FIFA World Cup™ qualifying play-off against Uruguay to send the Socceroos to Germany 2006, their first World Cup since 1974 to mark the tenth anniversary of that historic evening
“Arnie (Graham Arnold) came around and asked who wanted pens. I put my hand up and he wanted to put me first. I said, ‘Nah, fifth.’ How did it feel doing the walk from the centre circle? You might think I was crapping myself, but it was the best walk I've ever had. I knew if I hit it like I had the day before at training, we were going to the World Cup.”
John Aloisi on taking Australia’s fifth, and ultimately decisive penalty that sent the Socceroos to Germany 2006
"They said they were going to send me to retirement. I sent their whole nation into retirement."
Zlatan Ibrahimovic after defeating Denmark in the play-offs to send Sweden to UEFA EURO 2016
"The team advanced to the quarter-finals of the Champions League! Congratulations, girls!"
Slavia Praha
 were all smiles after advancing to the UEFA Women's Champions League quarter-finals for the first time in the club's history
“You can get on a team bus now and the lads will stick their earphones on and get their computers out and do what they do. But I'm not into all the gadgets. I'm just a human being who enjoys other people's company. When we were young, on coach trips to away games when I was at Bournemouth, there'd be four of us at the front of the bus. All we'd do is sit there and talk football. If we'd been up at Middlesbrough we'd talk football all the way back to Bournemouth. Unfortunately, I just don't see that so much any more.”
West Bromwich Albion manager Tony Pulis speaking to the BBC ahead of his club’s home match against Arsenal 
“Feedback is very important … but I have to say that because when I don’t say that then I’m arrogant. I am also an innovator and I have changed a lot. I was the first coach who was with a notebook. Now everybody is with a notebook. I was the first coach who used video. I’m from a time where you [the manager] did everything. Now I’m the manager and I have a sports science department, I have a scouting department, I have a medical department, I have assistant managers, I have assistant coaches. I don’t do anything … nothing! I delegate. I delegate and I earn a lot of money.”
Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal on the evolution of the modern football manager