New York reunion for Wright-Phillips brothers
It's funny how life works out. Had Bradley Wright-Phillips not been married this summer, his brother Shaun might never have become his New York Red Bulls team-mate.
"Usually Shaun goes to L.A. when the English season's over," Bradley told FIFA.com. "Him being my brother and my best man, he had to be here. One thing led to another. It's a crazy story and I'm happy now for two reasons I married the lady I did."
Today, they play together for the Major League Soccer side with the best record in the 2015 regular season. RBNY are favorites to reach MLS Cup, the one-off title game in December that decides the league’s champion.
Younger brother Bradley, 30, is a starter and star. He led the league in scoring with 27 goals last season. He enjoyed another strong year with 17 strikes in 2015. Older sibling Shaun (34) played with distinction in the English Premier League with Manchester City and Chelsea. After training with the Red Bulls for several weeks, he signed up in July, giving the club experience and depth on the wing.

"After training here for a week, I felt like I had been here for a year," said Shaun, known in his younger days for a trickery and blinding pace that earned him 36 England caps. "It felt like I knew everybody for ages. I was happy, they were happy. So it would be stupid not to play football where you're happy."
They might be siblings, but don't add the word 'rivalry' to the phrase. "There's never been any rivalry between us," Shaun said. "We've always wanted each other to do well. We've always just been helpful with each other. We never ever had a rivalry apart from playing Xbox.”
The brothers grew up with the ultimate footballing role model – former England striker Ian Wright, who filled the net famously for Arsenal and for Crystal Palace, West Ham and Nottingham Forest, scoring nine times in 33 international appearances. 
To his credit, Wright didn’t force his boys into football. "He never put pressure on us," Bradley said. "I don't think he took it too serious until we were in the academy in Manchester City. He was letting us have fun. I think that's the best for a kid."
But the brothers were football crazy anyway. "We literally played anywhere we could," Shaun said. "If we had to shop for our mom, we took a football with us. Pretty much if we weren't playing computer, we were out playing. We always played football together. It started and finished our day."
When they played at Manchester City for two years, between 2004 and 2005, the brothers even made a few appearances together. Shaun started and Bradley came off the bench – a reverse of their current situation in New York. "It was a great time, but I didn't get to cherish it," Bradley said. "Before I knew it, it was over. Playing with your brother is special and I'm lucky to get a second chance at it.”
Sibling understanding 
Playing for the Red Bulls, the Wright-Phillips siblings became the first brothers to combine for a goal in MLS history, the go-ahead goal in a 3-1 win over the Philadelphia Union in early August. In the 74th minute Shaun brought down a ball inside the box, cut back to the end line to free himself from a defender and slid in a pass for Bradley to redirect home with his first touch.
"It was more joy," Bradley said. "I was just thinking the night before that it would be amazing if he came on and got a goal or he could get an assist for me or vice versa. I knew it would be something special. So when it came off, it was a little bit of disbelief that he actually got the ball back to me. It was a great feeling, a great moment. It's one I will remember forever."
Having played together for so many years certainly has its perks. It has been a good marriage, so to speak. "After years of watching him and playing with him, I've got really good idea of what he's going to do and all I have to do is take a chance," Bradley said. "I know his game inside and out. I know what he likes to do and what his strong points are and I try to read off of that."
Shaun is recuperating from a hamstring injury and hopes to be ready for Sunday's first leg of the home-away series at Columbus Crew. The second leg at home will be on 29 November. If the Red Bulls win, they will host MLS Cup for the first time, hoping to win their first league crown.
As special as this season has been, Bradley realises there’s still a lot of work to do. "I won't get to feel it unless we get there and win," he said, Shaun nodded beside his younger brother. "It's like when Shaun and I played together and we come off the pitch, that's when I cherish it. I think if we do get there and win, that's when I will sit back and think what a special season it’s been, but the job is far from done."