Ogier: There are similarities between every sport
© AFP
Reigning three-time world rally champion Sebastien Ogier has been rubbing shoulders with the cream of world football in recent times. In August 2014, he was at the wheel of his car for a penalty shoot-out like no other, taking on Germany forward and fellow world champion Thomas Muller in an action-packed showdown that proved to be a big hit online.

A few months later, the French driver had Brazilian star Neymar by his side, conducting co-driver duties in a high-speed advert. Something of a speed merchant on the pitch, the Barcelona man looked far less at ease on asphalt. Reflecting on that encounter in an interview with FIFA.com, Ogier said: “It was pretty memorable. I guess he must remember it too because his face changed colour!”
A committed football fan, the motorsport legend also spoke about the ties bind him to the game, discussing his idols, from Chris Waddle to Lionel Messi, and the teams closest to his heart, France and Olympique Marseille.

FIFA.com: Tell us about your relationship with football. 
Sebastien Ogier: I had to move away from the game because of circumstances. My sport takes up a lot of my time and I just don’t get much chance to stop and look around and see what’s going on in other sports. I always try to catch the big games, though, and the big events. When I was young I devoted a lot of time to football. I played a lot and I followed the game closely and my favourite club Olympique Marseille in particular.
What’s your happiest memory as a football fan?
As an l’OM fan, it has to be our Champions League final win in 1993.  That was very intense.

Who are your football heroes? 
The English player Chris Waddle has been an idol of mine for a very long time now. He was one of the stars of l’OM’s golden era. These days I’m a huge admirer of Lionel Messi. He’s the best in the world. A genius.

How good a player are you?  

To be honest, I wasn’t too bad when I was young. I was pretty good, but it wasn’t long before I took a different path and threw myself into motorsport. These days I struggle a bit. I gave it up too early.

Is there any common ground between football and motorsport?

Not at first sight, but you can always find common ground with every sport at the top level in terms or physical preparation and the mental approach. I wouldn’t say, though that football and motorsport are the two most similar sports.

That’s true, but you did bring them together once for a very different kind of penalty shoot-out.
Yes, back in 2014 with Thomas Muller. I have really nice memories of that. He’s a great player and a really nice guy too, very open and down-to-earth. We had a really good rapport and it was a lot of fun, though he was whole lot better than me in the shoot-out. He even got behind the wheel of my car at the end of the day, which was not so cool, I have to say (laughs). Fortunately, it was a pretty big car park.

You somehow managed to “backheel” the ball in with your rear bumper. 

That was not easy. I had to pick up as much speed as I could to hit the ball while keeping control of the car to make sure that I didn’t slide into the goal and take the keeper out. It was tricky but I’m proud that I scored.

You also went out for a drive with Neymar. Tell us about that.
I didn’t spend so long with Neymar but it was still a lot of fun. He was my co-driver for an advert. As I remember, we didn’t have that much time. He was a bit late because of Champions League match and I had less time to chat to him. He maybe wasn’t as outgoing as Thomas, but it was still pretty memorable. I guess he must remember it too because his face changed colour (laughs).

If you could repeat the experience with another player, who would you choose?

(Thinks) I’d have to say Messi, just because he’s the best. It’s always good to meet the greats, whether they’re artists, politicians or sportspeople.

Would you have given the Argentinian your vote for the FIFA Ballon d’Or?
Of course. I would have voted for him, though I don’t think I’d have much right to take part, which is probably just as well (laughs). I think he deserved it, though, and that’s taking nothing away from the talent of Neymar and Cristiano Ronaldo, who are great players too. Messi is the number one though.

This is the fifth time that Messi has won it. Likewise, you’ve won the last three world rally titles and have started to dominate the sport. What’s the secret behind that kind of sustained success?

There are a lot of things that come into it. Like Messi, I’ve got a team that has helped me reach the top. You need to have good people around you, good team-mates and a good co-driver. You have to keep on working, never relax and keep pushing yourself and trying to improve in every area. Natural talent perhaps comes into it a bit, but you absolutely have to nurture it.

One last question. Though your wife is German, have you stayed loyal to France?
Absolutely. My heart is French through and through. I’m a huge Bleus fan. The last World Cup wasn’t easy for us as a couple (laughs). It was war. We did this photo for the press, like two boxers: me in theBleus shirt and her in the Germany top. The day after France lost I had to do a photo of me knocked out on the floor. We’ll get our own back one day though.