Stepping into the home dressing room at Sunderland’s Stadium of Light has an eerie familiarity about it for Jordan Henderson. As he walked down the stairs and turned left, rather than right, for England’s friendly game against Australia, he was retracing a path he last paced over five years ago, when playing for his hometown club.
He has been back since, while wearing the red of Liverpool, but against the Socceroos he stepped out onto the Stadium of Light pitch wearing the red of England – and was greeted by a rapturous reception.
In that crowd was his beaming father Brian, who drove his son to the game the last time England were in Sunderland for an international match. For that UEFA EURO 2004 qualifier against Turkey back in 2003, a 12-year-old Jordan was an academy player at the Black Cats, and was a ball-boy for the game.
“Back then, that was a fantastic experience for us to watch an England game at the Stadium of Light as they’re few and far between up in the north-east,” Brian toldFIFA.com. “Jordan was buzzing for two or three days after that, and I’m sure he’ll be the same after the game against Australia.”
His dad’s pride was clear when talking about Jordan – who was born and raised in Sunderland - stepping out at his ‘home’ ground, the Stadium of Light, as a full England international.  
“It’s a first for me,” Brian smiled. “I’ve seen Jordan play at the Stadium of Light many times but it’s a proud moment. First of all as a Sunderland fan and of course I follow Jordan’s career and I think it’s the proudest moment of my life with regards to his career.”
Speaking after the match, which England won 2-1 as they continued their preparations for EURO 2016, Jordan Henderson grinned when his father was mentioned.
“It’s incredible, not only for me but for my family who came to watch me when I was younger here for Sunderland,” Henderson told FIFA.com, when asked about his emotions at wearing the Three Lions at the Stadium of Light. “My family have followed my career all the way through and I’m sure they’ll be proud.
“I always get a good reception here. The fans have been brilliant with me every time I’ve come back with Liverpool and now with England. They’ve been outstanding really, I do appreciate that. This is where it all started for me. To be playing for England here is a huge honour.”
And that game in 2003, when he had a front row view? “I can’t remember too much about it to be honest!” Henderson laughed. “I remember Beckham’s penalty [in injury time to seal a 2-0 win] and the atmosphere was of course very good.”
Henderson has established himself as a key part of Roy Hodgson’s squad since heading to the 2014 FIFA World Cup™ in Brazil, and with England’s preparations well underway for France, the Liverpool man is looking forward to improving on past performances.
“We’ve got to be very positive,” Henderson said of EURO 2016, with the Three Lions pitched against Russia, Wales and Slovakia in Group B. “We’ve got a good squad but we need to make sure we’re putting in performances on the big stage. We struggled to do in the last couple of tournaments so I’m confident but we need to do our talking on the pitch.”
The midfielder and England have a big task ahead of them in France and beyond, with World Cup qualifying for Russia 2018 beginning in September. Whatever Henderson Jr achieves in his international career, this summer and into the future, he will have a difficult mission to make his father Brian any prouder than he was when Jordan stepped out at the Stadium of Light wearing the Three Lions.