For Sweden, there is an end-of-an-era feel to UEFA EURO 2016.
A change in the dugout is already a certainty, with Erik Hamren committed to ending his seven-year reign after the finals. The big remaining question is whether the outgoing coach will be followed in bowing out by his inspirational but ageing captain.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic is approaching 35 and did state three years ago that the Brazil 2014 qualifiers would be his last shot at a FIFA World Cup™. But the evergreen striker has maintained his extraordinary standards in the time since and, following another record-breaking season, coaxing him to continue is sure to be the top priority of Hamren's successor, Janne Andersson.
It’s worth remembering that the current boss, too, had to do some wooing when he first took the job in 2009. Ibrahimovic, then 28, had retired from international football the year before and did so amid criticism that he was a divisive, self-indulgent figure. This was the context in which Hamren asked him not only to return to the fold, but to come back as Sweden’s new skipper. The individualist was challenged to unify, and to lead.
It was to be the start of a firm alliance in which Hamren’s faith has been justified many times over, with Ibra having flourished as captain and become his country’s all-time leading scorer. Most recently, that record tally of 62 was topped up by three vital goals – one a superb free-kick – as Sweden edged out old rivals Denmark in a dramatic EURO 2016 play-off. Asked about his star striker by the press afterwards, Hamren said simply: “I love him.”
The Sweden coach knows only too well, though, that yet more Ibra brilliance will be required for his team to survive a EURO section that pits them against Belgium, Italy and Republic of Ireland. Going out on a high, as he told FIFA.com,will take some doing.

FIFA.com: Mr Hamren, how are the EURO preparations going?
Erik Hamren: 
It’s always tough for a national coach before these tournaments. There’s so much to prepare but almost all of that is done without the players. And then you look at them with their clubs and think, ‘Ok, this one has been playing too little and this one has been playing too much.’ But that’s nothing you can control, so you just have to make the best of what you have.

Tell us about that play-off win that took you through.These play-off games are always special but because it was Denmark, and with the relationship between the two countries, it was extra special this time. I worked in Denmark for four-and-a-half years, so I have a lot of friends there. But when I speak to them, I can’t pretend that I’m not very happy it’s us in the EURO and not them!
Did we see the real Sweden in that play-off? The rest of your qualifying campaign arguably wasn’t as inspiring.We had a bad September, when we lost to Russia and Austria, but aside from that we weren’t too bad. It’s true though that it was in the games against Denmark, particularly the one here in Stockholm, that we managed to get both the defensive and attacking sides of our game right at the same time. In other games, we had tended to be good in one aspect but not the other. And in the EURO, it’s certain we’ll need to be very strong in both.
Half of my squad have grown up idolising Zlatan and, for me as a coach, that’s brought a special challenge.
Erik Hamren
I know you’ve been asked about Zlatan so many times, but what can you say about his contribution to your play-off win?
He’s our match-winner, it’s as simple as that. He’s been fantastic and we’re lucky to have a player like him who can do that kind of thing on such a consistent basis. With Zlatan, we always know that if we get the other things right as a team, we have a world-class player up there who can win us matches.

It’s strange to think now that some doubted the wisdom in appointing him as your captain.I did that because I wanted him to take responsibility within the team – to be a real leader – and I must say that he’s done that fantastically. Everything I wanted him to bring as captain he has brought. You have to remember that half of my squad have grown up idolising Zlatan and, for me as a coach, that’s brought a special challenge to make sure that relationship is beneficial. But he has been superb with those younger players. I couldn’t have asked for more from him.

Do you think the EURO will be the last we’ll see of him in a Sweden shirt?Physically, I don’t think there’s any doubt that he can play on for many years and make a big contribution to the team. But the mental question, whether he’s motivated for another campaign after playing for so long, will be the big one for him to answer after the EURO. And it’s only Zlatan who will be able to answer that.
You have already confirmed that you will be leaving after the EURO. What brought you to that decision?It’s a decision that had been forming for a while. I’ve been national coach for seven years now and I just felt it was a good time to stop, especially having qualified for the EURO once again. Of course it’s going to be sad to leave, but it feels to me like a good decision.
What’s next? A return to club football?I certainly haven’t closed any doors. I love my job as a national coach but I always enjoyed working in club football before too. I definitely hope that I can work for a few more years, but in this job I’ve learned that you can never plan or predict too much. We’ll see what happens in the future but my entire focus for now is on finishing this job on a big high in France.
That’s been made tougher for you by the draw, with Sweden arguably in the most difficult group of all.I think it is the toughest and, looking at the ranking, it’s clear that Ireland and ourselves are the underdogs. I believe we can do it though. Ok, we are the lowest-ranked team in the group and, realistically, it will be tough. But football isn’t played on paper and it’s not always the realistic, obvious outcome that happens.
Finally, do you feel that you’re leaving with Sweden’s future looking bright?I really do. You saw when we won the European U-21 Championship last year – and we have also been strong at U-17s and U-18s – that there are some good young Swedish players coming through, many of whom are already in my squad. I’m hopeful they can make an impact. The big challenge for them will be when Zlatan stops because it will be a long time before Sweden produces another player like him – if we ever do. To progress without him, we’re going to need everyone to step up.