Schweinsteiger: I'd like to say goodbye properly to Bayern
© Getty Images
Bastian Schweinsteiger regrets the nature of his hasty exit from Bayern Munich and would still like the chance to say a proper farewell to the club. The Germany captain signed a three-year deal withManchester United in July after 14 years and a host of honours with the Bavarian heavyweights.
But the 31-year-old regrets the manner of his departure as he opted out of the pre-season presentation at the Allianz Arena because he already knew he was off to Manchester.
"I would like to say goodbye properly," Schweinsteiger told German weekly Die Zeit. "There was the season's opening ceremony at the stadium, but I didn't want to stand there in the Bayern jersey, waving to the fans, then a few hours later say, 'That was nice, but I'm off to England.'
"Because I have a good relationship with the Bayern fans, that's why I left it the way I did. But perhaps a day will come when I'll return to the stadium."
France 2016 dream
Schweinsteiger has had a mixed start to his United career. He started in their 2-1 defeat away to Dutch champions PSV on Tuesday as Louis van Gaal's side kicked off their UEFA Champions League campaign.
Schweinsteiger says he has "not for one second" considered retiring from international football. Having helped inspire Die Mannschaft to 2014 FIFA World Cup™ he wants more success at UEFA EURO 2016 in France. "I still want to fulfil my dream of being European champion," he insisted.