Guardiola in, Pellegrini out at City
© Getty Images
Pep Guardiola is to succeed Manuel Pellegrini as Manchester City head coach, the English Premier League club today confirmed.
The Bayern Munich boss had recently stated his intention to move to the Premier League but his destination had been unclear until today’s announcement. City’s statement confirmed that Guardiola has agreed to take charge for the 2016/17 season and describes Pellegrini, who will depart on 30 June, as “fully supportive” of the decision.
Making the switch public at this stage was done, the club added, “to remove the unnecessary burden of speculation”, with rumours having persisted since Guardiola’s announcement that this season will be his last at Bayern. At that time, the former Barcelona coach outlined his determination to sample life and football in England for the first time in his career.
"I want to experience a new city and I want to work in England,” said Guardiola, a FIFA Club World Cup winner with both Barça and Bayern. “If I were 60, 65-years-old, I'd stick with Bayern, but I think I'm too young. I need a new challenge. My career is a long way from over and when I have a new club it will be the club that makes the announcement."
I need a new challenge. My career is a long way from over.
Pep Guardiola
That announcement has now come and, according to one of Guardiola’s current players, City have made an inspired decision. Robert Lewandowski has reached new heights under the Catalan this season and says that he is a coach who will bring a new dimension to the big-spending English outfit.
"I know Pep can improve a team in England," the Poland international told the Mail on Sunday. "I think he knows where he's going and he knows what he needs to do with the team he's going to, so that they play much better.
"He will focus on technique and perhaps more possession than is the norm in England. But Pep knows the Premier League is different from the Spanish league or the Bundesliga. I'm sure he can do something new in terms of tactics and technique.
"Pep thinks about football 24 hours a day. He covers every angle to the smallest detail and he always demands 100 per cent in training and in games."
City currently sit second in the Premier League table, three points behind Leicester City, and remain in the running for the FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Champions League.