blogger visitor
SPORTS: Pearce: I could lead England at EURO 2012 (FIFA article)

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pearce: I could lead England at EURO 2012 (FIFA article)



England caretaker manager Stuart Pearce has said that he is ready to lead the country into the UEFA European Championship after naming a youthful squad for next week's friendly with the Netherlands.
Pearce was appointed to take charge of England for the Wembley international following the shock resignation of Fabio Capello earlier this month, but is not regarded as a long-term option for the post. However, with the Football Association yet to make a formal approach to Tottenham's Harry Redknapp, Pearce confirmed Thursday he would be willing to take charge of England at this summer's finals in Poland and Ukraine.
"I'm available and I have tournament experience if they need me to step into the breach in the summer," Pearce told reporters. "If they need me to take the squad in the summer I will do that with pleasure."
Pearce, who is coach of England's U-21 team and who will manage Britain's football team at the Olympics, also defended his decision to omit veterans such as Frank Lampard and Rio Ferdinand from next week's match. "My mentality was what would I need to learn as a manager going into a major tournament and what would the next manager coming through the door need to learn from next Wednesday," Pearce said.
I have tournament experience if they need me to step into the breach in the summer. If they need me to take the squad in the summer I will do that with pleasure.
Stuart Pearce 
 
Read more...
http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/news/newsid=1588409.html

No comments:

Post a Comment